Child Protective Services

  • Child Protective Services Child Abduction/Recovery/Intervention Program

    The Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Service's Child Abduction/ Recovery Program offers diverse services to both to their own agency and Dependent Children, as well as children recovered in L.A. County but originally abducted from another county/state or even internationally. The Program is part of an Inter-agency Council on Child Abuse and Neglect (ICAN) Multi-Disciplinary Team begun in May, 1991 and funded by the OJJDP in Washington D.C. The team meets 10 times per year to discuss all cases and pool the member's expertise to assist in recovery and successful reunification. The team members consist of local private agencies, such as the non-profit agency of Find the Children (the lead agency), mental health agencies such as DiDi Hirsch Community Mental Health, as well as local, state and federal agencies, such as the Department of Children and Family Services, Legal Aid Services of L.A. and Long Beach, the Office of the County Counsel, L.A. County District Attorney Child Abduction Unit, LAPD, LASD and the FBI.

    The DCFS Program accepts referrals on all children who have been abducted from DCFS jurisdiction. This includes Voluntary Family Maintenance Contract agreements and Voluntary Placement agreements, attempts to take children into protective custody and dependent children of the Juvenile Court. Assistance is offered to the regional staff in obtaining the appropriate law enforcement reports and requests are forwarded to the Office of the County Counsel for preparation of 3130 orders and Hague Treaty applications, as appropriate. Photographs are obtained and forwarded to Find the Children (FTC) for preparation of flyers to be distributed to the areas where the child is believed to have been taken. FTC has a website and also contracts with vending machine companies and trucking companies to name a few, to distribute the flyers for maximum benefit. When the children are recovered, referrals are made to one of the above mentioned mental health therapeutic agencies for specialized therapy surrounding the issues of abduction, possible abuse during the abduction and the recovery itself.

    The DCFS Program also offers services to all children who have been abducted from other jurisdictions and recovered in L.A. County. Background checks are performed on the abductors and the custodial (left-behind) parents, and Interventions arranged with appropriate professions and familial parties. Follow up services are also provided to the family when the child(ren) returns to their home jurisdictions.

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • Find the Children

    A Letter from Find The Children, a Non-profit Organization

    September 2014-15

    To All DCFS Social Workers and Staff:

    Find The Children offers free case management assistance to DCFS Social Workers and staff who are involved with cases where a child has been abducted or when there are circumstances where an abduction may take place.

    For over 30 years, Find The Children has been working with searching families and have approximately 100 volunteers who distribute flyers, monthly, of missing children. The flyers feature photographs and vital information about each child’s case.

    We encourage you to visit our website at: to view all of our missing children cases. Since one out of seven children is found through someone seeing their photograph and reporting it to law enforcement; it is important for us to keep missing children’s photographs in the public.

    The CSW should contact the Child Abduction Liaisons to inform them that a child has been recovered; and the CAL will forward the recovery referral to Find The Children. This process is for all children who have been taken from a parent’s home, a foster home, or from a relative of placement. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can, and remember, all of our services are free. Please feel welcome to contact me with any questions, including information on prevention.


    Rora Jones
    Executive Director

    Donec sed odio dui. Integer posuere erat a ante venenatis dapibus posuere velit aliquet. Aenean eu leo quam. Pellentesque ornare sem lacinia quam venenatis vestibulum. Aenean eu leo quam. Pellentesque ornare sem lacinia quam venenatis vestibulum. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

  • Definition of Child Abduction and Over–All Responsibilities of The Child Protective Services (CPS) Social Worker

    Child Abduction is any act of concealment of a child from the Juvenile Dependency Court or any act of concealment from the Child Protective Services Social Worker for the purpose of preventing the detention of a child when a parent, legal guardian or relative is aware that such a detention is about to be made.

    If a child is under Dependency Court supervision, including the child that is under a Home of Parent (HOP) order and is abducted by a parent or legal guardian, this is considered a ‘Child Abduction’.  If the child is abducted by a relative or non-related individual, this is considered a ‘Kidnapping’. Law Enforcement is to be immediately notified by the appropriate parties so that a ‘Missing Persons Report’ AND either a ‘Child Abduction Report’or a ‘Kidnapping Report’ can be filed pursuant to Penal Code 278 and the child entered into the NCIC system. There is no waiting time for filing a Missing Persons Report and it should be filed the moment that the abduction becomes known. The Dependency Court, as well as all appropriate attorneys for all the parties involved, must be immediately notified within one business day, as well as requests for the issuance of Protective Custody Warrants. 

    If the child is not yet before the Dependency Court, a Non-Detained Petition should be filed by the appropriate CPS Social Worker and a request for the issuance of Protective Custody Warrants be made.

    In order to improve the chances of locating an abducted child, in Los Angeles County, the Department of Children and Family Services, the Office of the County Counsel, serving the Department of Children and Family Services and the District Attorney’s Office, Child Abduction Unit have entered into an agreement on the most efficient way to handle the children who are under Dependency Court jurisdiction and supervision. The Office of the County Counsel serves as a liaison between DCFS and the District Attorney’s Office and completes all the appropriate paperwork to assist the Child Abduction Investigators at the District Attorney in locating the child. This includes but is not limited to background information on the family and contained within the DCFS case, a 3130 Order and/or a Hague Convention Treaty application/petition.

    Current, photographs, demonstrating clear facial features should be either in the case record or obtained for both the child and the abductor. Paperwork should be initiated by the appropriate CPS Social Worker for ‘Notification of Intent to Publish’ the photographs and submitted to the Dependency Court. After this paperwork is submitted and approved, depending on each county’s regulations, the photographs should be disseminated, on a case-by-case basis to appropriate agencies that can assist in locating and recovering the child.

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • High Risk Factors In Abduction of CPS Children

    1. The act of removing a child from parental custody automatically sets up a
      situation for a child to be abducted:
      • It threatens the Family Unit
      • It takes the power, authority and control away from the Parent
      • It may terminate AFDC payments that sustain the parents, as well as the child(ren)
      • It may terminate Section 8 Housing or housing in Housing Project.
    2. Placement with relatives, as they are required to monitor the perpetrating relatives,
      (such as sons or daughters contact with their children). Loyalty ties: Conflict of emotions.
    3. Parents with ties to other countries.
    4. Other siblings in the CPS/Dependency Court System:  Now the only remaining
      child(ren) has/have been removed.
    5. Substance abuse by the parent/s.
    6. Previous attempts of abduction.
    7. Parents belief that foster/relative caregiver are not properly caring for child.
    8. Paranoid parent.
    9. Multiple arrest/criminal activities by the parent.

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • Child Protective Services Checklist

    Best Practices Guideline For CPS Social Workers
    When A Child On Their Caseload Is Reported Abducted

    Use this guideline if one of the following circumstances arises. If in doubt, always consult a supervisor or manager:
      • An unauthorized parent/relative takes a child from a visitation, school or placement; whereabouts are unknown
      • Child does not return home from school or activity, cannot be found, and is not likely a runaway
      • The caretaker observes or someone reports a family member or unknown person has abducted the child

    Overview of the Process - may differ by county:
    When a child is abducted prompt action is needed to ensure the child is recovered quickly and safely. Initially, two reports are necessary: Missing Person's Report and a Child Abduction Report. Collaboration with other services is necessary to ensure word gets out about the child. Once the child is returned the abduction/recovery is not over; therapeutic services are needed to help the child and family deal with the psychological trauma so that successful re-integration can be achieved.

    File a Missing Person's and Child Abduction Reports

    The CPS worker must ensure that the foster parent/relative/other parent files a Missing Person's Report IMMEDIATELY with the law enforcement jurisdiction where the child was abducted and not where the child normally resides with the parent or in the jurisdiction where the Child Protective Services Office is located. If the foster parent/relative/other parent is not cooperative, the CPS worker must make the Missing Person's Report with law enforcement as described above and can refer him/her to Out-of-Home-Care Unit for investigation.

    According to Penal Code Section 14205(a), law enforcement shall accept any report of a missing person without delay. The report must be made for each missing child by a caretaker, the CPS worker, or other person.

    After the Missing Person's Report has been made, it is the responsibility of the foster parent/relative/other parent to immediately advise the CPS worker of the abduction by contacting and speaking directly with him/her. Simply leaving a message or voice mail message for the individual is not sufficient.

    Ensure the Child Has Been Entered Into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC)

    Law enforcement MUST enter the Missing Person's Report into the California Department of Justice Missing Persons System (MUPS). The MUPS database automatically forwards the report to NCIC.

    Per federal and state law, reports involving missing persons under the age of 21 MUST be in the NCIC and MUPS databases within two hours after receipt of the report.
    [Reference Title 42, Ch. 72 subchapter IV, Sec. 5780, and Penal Code Section 14205(b)]

    File a Child Abduction Report

    A Crime Report for Child Abduction, Penal Code Section 278.5(a) or 278, IS TO BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY.

    The CPS worker must report the abduction to the police in the city from which the child was abducted.

    When reporting the abduction to law enforcement the CPS worker must bring the following documents/information to the police station:

      • The most current Minute Order from the Dependency Court;
      • The CPS worker's Child Protective Services Identification Badge; and
      • All the details surrounding the abduction.

    Once the CPS worker reports the abduction, it is good practice for the CPS worker to note the name and badge number of the law enforcement official who takes the report, as well as the report number.

    File a Request for Protective Custody Warrant Within 24 Hours

    Notify the School

    If the child's school receives a request for the abducted child's school records, the school personnel must IMMEDIATELY notify the CPS worker.

    Advise the District Attorney

    Upon the issuance of the Juvenile Court's Protective Custody Warrant, and/or the Hearing Officer has requested a 3010 Order, the CPS worker must contact the District Attorney's Office for further assistance. The CPS workers need to cooperate in providing information/reports to both the district attorney's investigators for the purpose of locating the child and the district attorney's prosecutors for the eventual prosecution of the abducting parent or party.

    Obtain Photos

    The CPS worker should obtain photos of the abducted child immediately. The photos should show clear features of the child. If available, a photo of the abducting parent/party should be obtained as well.

    Apply for "Orders for Publication"

    The CPS worker should apply to the Dependency Court to obtain an order to allow the publishing of photographs of both the abducted child and the abducting parent/party so that such photos may be used in circulating flyers.

    Submit Photos

    The CPS worker should submit photos of the abducted child and abducting parent/party so that the photos may be published by appropriate agencies as specified by your Child Protective Services and/or to the investigating law enforcement agency and/or District Attorney's Office that is handling the case.

    Consult with the District Attorney Child Abduction Unit or the California Attorney General's Office in Your Region

    The CPS worker should consult with the District Attorney's Child Abduction Unit to see if it is appropriate/possible to make an application under the Hague Convention for the return of a child abducted to another country.

    When a Child is Recovered

    Once a child is recovered, the CPS worker should notify the child's attorney and any other investigating agency. (i.e., District Attorney's Child Abduction Unit/ local law enforcement agency) and the Dependency Court WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE RECOVERY.

    Refer the Child and Parent/s to a Psychological Counseling Program

    Once the child is recovered, the CPS worker should refer the child and parent to psychological counseling to deal specifically with the issues surrounding abduction, recovery, and re-integration into the family unit or into the out-of-home placement of the child.

    File for Victim Compensation Program Benefits

    Once the child has been recovered, if the abduction was by a parent or other person with a right of custody to the child, the CPS worker should advise the legal guardian to file a claim with the California Victim Compensation Government Claims Board or the local victim witness assistance center.

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • Assisting Law Enforcement in Understanding the Status of CPS Children

    This flyer is intended to assist Law Enforcement in understanding the legal status of the CPS children, who maintains custody of dependent children, and how to respond to a dependent child who has been abducted.

    A child can be taken into Temporary Protective Custody, by either Law Enforcement or the Child Protective Services Social Worker. The child is then placed out of the home of the parent(s) or guardian from whom the child was removed. Within seventy-two (72) judicial hours from the date of removal, a Detention/Arraignment hearing will take place.

    Once the child has been taken into Temporary Protective Custody, the parent(s)/guardian does not have the legal right to remove the child from the place where the child has been placed, without the Child Protective Services agency’s knowledge and approval and after the Detention/Arraignment Hearing, without the Dependency Court’s knowledge and approval.

    A Dependent Child is a child whose care, custody and control have been removed from the parent(s) or guardian and the child has been placed with the Child Protective Services agency by the Dependency Court. In turn, CPS will formally place the child either with a relative caretaker, a shelter caretaker, a foster parent, in a group home setting or possibly in a hospital setting.

    The change of custody from the parent(s) or legal guardian to the CPS agency occurs when the Dependency Court makes the following findings:

    Pursuant to WIC 319:  Substantial danger exists to the physical and/or emotional
    health of the child and there is no reasonable means to protect the child without

    A prima facie case for detaining the child and demonstrating that the child is a
    person described by WIC 300, subdivision(s) A-J is established.

    Temporary custody and placement is vested with the Child Protective Services
    agency ending disposition or further order of the Dependency Court.

    At this point, the child is in the legal custody of CPS. Any act of concealment of the child, by the either parent or the legal guardian from CPS or the Dependency Court is considered to be an abduction of that child. Penal Code §277(k) defines abduction as the unlawful taking, enticing away, keeping, withholding or concealing of a child.

    In addition to the placement outside the home of a parent(s) or legal guardian, the child can be placed, by the Dependency Court, back into the home of a parent(s) or legal guardian, under the continued supervision of the Dependency Court and CPS. This is only a placement and the parent(s) or legal guardian does not have the right to withhold or conceal the child from either the Dependency Court or the Child Protective Services agency. When this occurs, the Dependency Court makes the following finding:

    Child is ordered placed in the Home of …(Parent, Mother or Father or Parents), under the supervision of CPS.

    Therefore, a parent or legal guardian who takes his/her/their child when a Home of Parent order is in effect is still considered to have abducted the child. The reason being that ALL dependent children remain under the legal custody of the CPS agency. The child must be made available to CPS so that his or her care can be monitored. If the parent abducts the child, CPS is unable to supervise the child and ensure the protection and safety of that child.

    When a child is abducted under any of the above-mentioned circumstances, the Social Worker will request that both a Missing Person’s Report and a Child Abduction Report (Penal Code 278) be filed. Both of these reports are legally necessary and will assist the District Attorney’s Office in pursuing and locating the abducted child and will also facilitate the recovery of abducted child from other states.

    The local Child Protective Services agency always appreciates the assistance and co-operation of Law Enforcement in responding the requests of the Social Worker in filing both the Missing Person’s and Child Abduction Report. 

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • CPS Agency’s Child Abduction Intake Form

    Download the Intake Form in PDF


    Date of Referral:

    Child Abduction Specialist Assigned:

    1. CSW: Name and Program Type:
    2. Office Name:

      Office Telephone Number:

      SCSW’s Name:

      SCSW’s Telephone Number:

      ARA’s Name:

      ARA’s Telephone Number:

      Court Number:


      County Counsel:

    3. Child’s Name (A):
    4. DOB:


      Placement Name:



      Telephone Number:

      Child’s Name (B):



      Placement Name:



      Telephone Number:


    5. Date of Abduction:
    6. Time of Abduction:

      Name of Abductor:



      Telephone Number:

    7. Person who reported Abduction:
    8. Date:

      How was Abduction Reported:

    9. Witness(es) to the Abduction:
    10. Relationship:


      Telephone Number:

    11. Circumstances Surrounding Abduction:
    12. Possible Whereabouts of Abductors (s):
    13. Possible Whereabouts of Child/ren:
    14. Describe your efforts to recover the child/ren:
    15. Mother’s Name:
    16. Address:

      Telephone Number (Home):

      Telephone Number (Work):

    17. Father’s Name:
    18. Address:

      Telephone Number (Home):

      Telephone Number (Work):

    19. Any Significant relatives/ Interested Parties: Names/ Addresses/ Phone Numbers:
    20. Local Law Enforcement Agency:
    21. Detective's Name :

      Telephone Number:

      Report Number:

      Date Minors Entered Into NCIC:

    22. Contact FBI/ Secret Service (Date):
    23. FBI Agent:

      Telephone Number:

      Ability to Respond:

      Report Number:

      Date received:

    24. Contact D.A. Child Abduction Unit (Date)
    25. Person contacted:

      Felony warrant possible:

      Date requested:

      Date Warrant Generated:

      Type of Warrant:

      3130 Order:

      Date Requested:

    27. (Person Contacted)

      Tasks given to FTC:

    28. Contact DCFS Media Section (Date)
    29. Person Contacted:

    30. Additional Information:
  • The Child Abduction Task Force Reunification of Missing Children Program
    Los Angeles County Inter-Agency Council on Child Abuse and Neglect

    Child Abduction Task Force Agencies Include:

    • Find the Children
    • Law Enforcement Agencies throughout Los Angeles County
    • Didi Hirsch Community Mental Health Center
    • Federal Bureau of Investigation
    • Los Angeles County
    • Department of Children & Family Services
    • Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office Child Abduction Unit
    • Los Angeles County Juvenile Court

    For further information about the Child Abduction Task Force, contact the LA County Inter-Agency
    Council on Child Abuse & Neglect at 626/455-4585

    Each year in Los Angeles County, several hundred children are abducted by parents or strangers. Many of these children are recovered and reunified with their custodial parents. Abduction is a traumatic event in a child´s life, and reunification with custodial parents can be a joyful or a difficult process.

    The Task Force
    The Los Angeles Child Abduction Task Force is a multi–disciplinary team sponsored by the Inter–Agency Council on Child Abuse and Neglect. The Task Force comprises local and federal law enforcement, community mental health agencies, the Department of Children and Family Services and the Mexican Consulate. Find the Children is the coordinating agency for the Task Force.

    Our Goal
    The goal of the Task Force is to reduce the trauma of abduction for victim children and their families by providing an effective and coordinated multi–agency approach to recovery and reunification.

    Intervention and evaluation, mental health, law enforcement and child protection assessment, and linkage to support services provided in LA County.

    Six sessions of free reunification counseling are available with specially trained therapists from community mental health centers. Families who live at a distance are referred to local mental health centers.

    To Make a Referral Contact:
    Find The Children

    2656 29th Street, Suite 203
    Santa Monica, CA 90405

    Phone: 310/314-3213
    or 888/477-6721
    Fax: 310/314-3169

  • Some of The Problems That An Abducted Child Faces During The Abduction Can Be:

    1. The child does not have an opportunity to say ‘good-bye’ to neighbors, classmates, friends.
    2. The child does not have the opportunity to take any of their favorite toys or any items of comfort.
    3. Frequently the child is abducted in the middle of the night, being “sneaked out” to avoid detection.
    4. Frequently the abductor and child are in hiding.
    5. Frequently the child is not enrolled in school to avoid detection.
    6. The abductor and child may move frequently, thereby depriving the abducted child of any
      stability of home, new friends, etc.
    7. The child may receive little or no medical and dental care.
    8. The child may be suddenly placed into a new family with a step-parent and

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • Criteria Used for Referral of Recovered Children

    Background of the Abduction – was there violence involved in the actual abduction?  Was the
    child traumatized the this violence?

    Age of the child – any pre–verbal child, unless there are allegations or signs of abuse and/or neglect, may not require a referral for therapy.

    Length of Abduction – in general, any abduction that is only a few days to a few months in length may not require a referral to specialized therapy, unless there are allegations of abuse and/or neglect.  Each case must be considered on its own merits and all cases regardless of the length of the abduction involving allegations of abuse and/or neglect, must be referred for specialized therapy for an assessment and possible therapy.

    Allegations of Child Abuse/Neglect – if there any allegations of any type of child abuse or neglect by any parities to any children, even to a child that is in the family unit and has not been abducted, an immediate referral is to be made to the department of Child Protective Services.

    Brain–washing – any type of ‘brain washing’ of the left–behind parent by the abductor can be very damaging to the child.

    Realization of Abduction – does the child realize he/she has been abducted or does the child think that he/she has been simply on a vacation?

    Previous Attempts – has child abduction, child stealing and/or custodial interference occurred frequently with this child?

    Alterations to Identity – was the child’s name changed, hair dyed, or any visible changes made to alter gender, thereby altering the child’s identity?

    Removed from Identifying Culture – was the child abducted to a different country, culture or did the child not speak the language of the country to which the child was abducted?

    Domestic Violence – is there serious domestic violence in the home of the child before and/or during the time of the abduction?

    Memory of Parent – does the child remember the ‘left–behind’ parent?  Does the child want to be returned to that parent?  Is the child fearful, due to brain–washing, of that parent?

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • Recovered Child Interview List

    Download a PDF of this list

    1. Name DOB
    Mother’s Full Name
    Father’s Full Name

    2. Do you know what is happening to you ?

    3. Are you in school ? Where ?

    4. Where do you live? With whom?

    5. Where is mom? Where is dad?
    Are you afraid of your mom? dad? Why?

    6. What are the most important things you remember about your time with the abducting parent and why?

    7. If you could tell your abducting parent one thing, what would it be?

    8. What are the most important things you remember about your time with (the left-behind parent) and why?

    9. If you could tell your left-behind parent one thing, what would it be?

    10. When you have done something wrong, how are you disciplined? (if discipline is a strange word use a child appropriate word)

    11. Do you know the difference between good touch and bad touch ? Ask child/ren to describe each.

    12. Who would you like to see today and why?

    If the child/ren does/do not want to see the left-behind parent, ask why.

    Then work with the child to be able to accept a visit, however short, with that parent so that you can assess the interaction/bonding or lack thereof. ALWAYS be sure that the child/ren knows that the visit will be monitored at all times and that they are in control of stopping the visit at any point.

    13. Who would you like to live with? Why?

    14. Is there anyone you don’t want to live with and why?

    15. Is there something that you wish you could have? What would it be?

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • Find the Children

    Find the Children is a non-profit agency dedicated to the recovery of missing children and the prevention of child abuse and neglect. Founded in 1983 by television producer Linda Otto, the organization assists families whose children have been victims of family or stranger abduction. The trauma a child experiences during these events can be severe and long lasting. Find the Children is the coordinating agency for the Child Abduction Task Force which provides free reunification counseling for children and their families.

    Find the Children reaches out to the community to provide programming for parents and children, to prevent child abduction and to promote child safety. Programming is offered through schools, recreation centers and hospitals.

    If you suspect that a child bas been abducted, call:
    The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 800-843-5678
    or Find the Children at 888-477-6721.

    Find the Children's major objectives are

    • To work closely and in cooperation with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
    • To locate missing children by assisting local and federal law enforcement, while supporting and advising the searching family.
    • To promote child safety and good parenting through community programming.
    • To increase the awareness of the public and the media on the missing child issue.
    • To support legislation providing positive action to ensure our children's safety.

    Our services include

    • Case management of family and non-family abductions.
    • Flyer and photo distribution.
    • Prevention and education materials and programming.
    • Post recovery and reunification services.
    • Website and computerized database of missing children.

    Child Safety Information

    1. Teach your children the facts of abduction early. If handled matter-of-factly and calmly as another coping skill, children need not be frightened.
    2. Have your children fingerprinted. Maintain current dental records. Have current photos of your children. For children under seven, photos should be taken twice a year. Children over seven should have their photos taken on an annual basis. Videotape your children.
    3. Obtain passports so your children cannot be taken out of the country without your permission.
    4. Teach your children their full names, addresses and phone numbers, including area code and long–distance dialing information. Post emergency numbers near the phone and show children how to dial 911. They should also know what to say to an operator if they are lost or have an emergency.
    5. Never put your child’s name on any article of clothing, lunch box, backpack, or other visible area. A stranger should never be able to call your child by name.
    6. Be cautious when choosing daycare facilities, preschools or babysitters. Check references. Make sure they will release your child to no one but you without prior permission.
    7. Instruct babysitters of children left at home never to open the door to strangers and never to volunteer information over the phone. They should say that you are home, but are unable to come to the phone.
    8. Instruct your children what to do if threatened by a stranger, and to report any suspicious incidents to you. Tell your children never to get near a stranger's car, give someone directions or help look for a missing or lost pet if asked to by someone they don't know.
    9. Never leave children unattended in a car, even for a minute.
    10. If your children are old enough to be out on their own, encourage them to use the "buddy system" and to avoid empty lots, fields and parks. Know the route your children take to and from school. Have your children check in with you at a specified time if you will not be home when they arrive.

    Find The Children
    2656 29th Street Suite 203
    Santa Monica, CA 90405
    Phone: 310/314-3213
    or 888/477-6721
    Fax: 310/314-3169

  • Encontrar a los Niños

    Encontrar a los Niños es una organizacion no lucrativa dedicada a la recuperacion de niños extraviados y la prevencion de abuso y negligencia en contra de los menores. Fundada en 1983 por la product ora de television Linda Otto, la organizacion ayunda a mmilias de las cuales menores ban side victimas de raptos por familiares o personas extrañas. El trauma por el cuallos menores passn durante este tipo de eventos puede ser severo y duradero por largo tiempo. Encontrar a los Niños es la agencia cordinadora para la Child Abduction Task Force, una Fuerza de Trabajo que se dedica a Is busqueda de menores raptados y que provee, sin costa aluguno, consejeros de reunificacion para los menores y sus familias.

    Encontrar a los Niños extiende su mano a la comunidad para proveer programacion para padres de familia y sus hijos para prevenir el rapto y promover seguridad para menores. Los programas son ofrecidos por medio de escuelas, centros de recreacion y hospitales.

    Si Usted sospecha que un menor a sido raptado, llame a: EI Centro Nacional para Niños Perdidoa y Explotados al numero 1-800-843-5678 o a Encontrar a los Niños al telefono 1-888-477-6721.

    Los Objetivos principales de Encontrar a los Niños son:

    • Trabajar de cerca y en cooperacion con el Centro Nacional para Niños Perdidos y Explotados.
    • Localizar niños perdidos por via de asistencia a las agencias policiales locales y federales, mientras se de apoyo y consejos a la familia en busqueda.
    • Promover la seguridad de menores y guias para los padres por medio de programas de la comunidad.
    • Aumentar el conocimiento del publico y vias de comunicacion sobre los niños extraviados.
    • Apoyar leyes que proveen accion positiva para asegurar la segurdad de nuestros hijos.

    Servicios de las agencias

    • EI manejo de casos de rapto sea por familiares a personas extrailas.
    • Distribucion de fotos y volantes.
    • Programas y materiales con informacion sobre prevencion y educacion.
    • Servicios despues de recuperar y de reunificacion con un menor.
    • Base de datos de menores extraviados e informacion en el ‘internet.’

    Informacion de seguridad

    1. Enseñe a sus hijos los hechos de la abduccion a una temprana edad. Manejandolo como un hecho, calmadamente, como forma de tratar con ello, los niños no deberan asustarse.
    2. Tome huellas de sus hijos. Mantenga expediente dental al corriente. Mantenga fotografias recientes de sus hijos. Se recomienda que para ninos menores de 7 años, deberan tomarse fotos 2 veces por año. Para niños mayores de 7 años, tomar fotos 1vez por año.
    3. Obtenga pasaportes para sus hijos. De esta manera, no pueden ser sacados del pais sin su consentimiento.
    4. Enseñe a sus hijos su nombre completo, direccion y numero telefonico. Incluyendo el codigo de area telefonica e instrucciones para hacer llamadas de larga distancia. Mantenga numeros de emergencia cerca del telefono y enseñe a sus hijos como marcar al 911. Tambien enseñeles que decir ala operadora en caso de estar extraviados o tener una emergencia.
    5. Nunca ponga el nombre de sus hijos en su ropa, mochilla, caja de almuerzo, etc. Una persona extraña no debe poder llamar a sus hijos por su nombre.
    6. Sea cauteloso al elegir cuidado para sus hijos. Asi sea en guarderias, pre–escolar, o con niñeras. Revise bien las referencias que le sean presentadas. Asegurese que, bajo ninguna circunstancia, entregaran a sus hijos a ninguana persona sin su autorizacion y permiso previo.
    7. Instruya a niñeras, o hijos dejados en casa solos, que NUNCA le habran la puerta a una persona extraña y que NUNCA den informacion por telefono. Deberan decir que el adulto que se encuentra en casa, no puede atender la llamada en ese momento.
    8. Instruya a sus hijos, que hacer en caso de ser amenazados por una persona extraña y reportar incidentes sospechosos a Ud. Enseñeles que nunca deben acercarse a un automovil, dar direcciones, o ayudar a buscar una mascota perdida si se lo pide alguien a quien no conocen.
    9. Nunes dejen a un nino sin atender en un auto. Ni siquiera por un instante.
    10. En caso de tener la suficiente edad para jugar afuera sin supervision, indiquele a sus hijos siempre utilizar un ‘sistema de smigos’ y que se aleje de terrenos solos, baldios, y parques solitarios. Conozca la ruta que toma su hijo para llegar a casa de la escuela. Asegurese que sus hijos se reporten con Ud. a una hora especifica en caso que no pueda Ud. estar en casa a la hora que ellos llegan.

    Encontrar a los Ninos
    Find The Children

    2656 29th Street
    Suite 203
    Santa Monica, CA 90405
    Telefono: 310-314-3213
    o 888/477-672l
    Fax: 310/314-3169

  • Is It Possible to Steal Your Own Child?
    Yes, And It's Against the Law!

    The Law on Child-Stealing in California

    Have you ever been afraid that your child will be kidnapped by a stranger? Do you know that it’s much more common for a child to be taken away by a parent or another family member? Some people think that you can't steal something that’s already yours, but when it comes to children that's not true. Children are not like a piece of property, it hurts them when they are uprooted and kept from other people they care about.

    It’s a crime for a parent, relative, or any other person to take away, hide, or keep a child from the other parent or a person who has rights to the child. It is a crime to take away, hide or keep a child from a child’s foster parent or other legal guardian.

    Child-stealing is a serious (felony) crime even when it is a family member who steals the child, which is called criminal custodial interference. Mothers, fathers, grandparents, and others with rights to the child who are convicted of stealing a child can be sent to prison for up to three years and fined up to $10,000.

    Fathers and mothers who have lost or never claimed their legal rights as parents, as well as other relatives, stepparents, boyfriends, and girlfriends without rights to the child also can be charged with child-stealing. Or, they might be charged with kidnapping. Anyone convicted of kidnapping can be sent to prison for up to eight years.

    Some people think they can avoid California law by taking their child to another state or country, but the district attorney's office will send investigators anywhere to bring them back, just like they do in other crimes.

    How to Protect Against Child–Stealing and Avoid Being Accused of Stealing Your Child.

    Get a child custody order from the court and follow it. A custody order is a legal paper with a decision by a judge saying when the children are supposed to be with each parent (physical custody and visitation) and who makes the decisions about the children’s health, education, and wellbeing (legal custody). Your order should also say if your child can be taken out of town or out of state for vacations, for example.

    To get a child custody order from the court, contact an attorney or legal clinic for assistance in filling a petition, which is a request for custody from the court. You also can get help in working out the arrangements of a custody order with the other parent by going to a mediator at Family Court Services in your county. A mediator is a person who works with both parents to help them come up with their own agreement that the judge can make into a court order. Private mediators are also available in many areas.

    Give a copy of the child custody order to your child’s school and keep an extra certified copy of the order at home. "Certified" means that the copy has a signature or seal on it from the court to show that it is a true official copy. Certified copies usually cost extra, but are very important to have.

    If the other parent lives in a different county or state, send a certified copy of the order to the clerk of the court there, so that the order will be kept in their file.

    Do not prevent the other parent from seeing your child. It is best if you have times you have agreed to, or that are spelled out in a court order. If not, make sure that there are some times when you each see the child. Otherwise, the other parent can say that you are interfering with their right by taking, hiding, or keeping the child from them. This can happen even if there is no court order.

    If you have your child for visitation or you have custody part of the time, return the child to the other parent on time. If you are late, you could be accused of the crime of child-stealing.

    If you are an unwed parent and you keep the child from the other parent, you also could be accused of child–stealing. If you are an unwed father who has not legally claimed paternity you could be charged with kidnapping if you take the child. If you are an unwed mother, you still need to get a child custody order from the court, even if the child has always been with you.

    If already have a custody order, but you want to move to another area or state, or make some other change, first go back to court and have your order changed. If moving with the child means that the other parent's contact with the child is changed, and you did not have the court order changed, you could be accused of child–stealing.

    What to do when you feel you must protect yourself or your child from the other parent

    If you or your child is not safe where you live, go to a safe place (friends, family, or a shelter). Find out from a shelter or family violence hotline how to stay safe.

    If you keep your child away from the other parent, because you feel that parent is harmful to the child or to you, then you should call or visit the local district attorney’s office right away. Tell them where the child and you are and why you took or kept the child from the other parent. Then follow their advice. If you do not call the district attorney’s office, if you do not follow up on their advice, or if you do not really have a good reason for taking or keeping the child, you could face charges of child–stealing.

    Make sure that family and friends know that they are doing
    something wrong if they help steal a child or help a parent
    who has stolen a child.

    Sometimes family and friends think they are helping by keeping a child away from the other parent or by helping a parent run away and hide with a child. They often don't know that by helping a parent steal a child, lending money, keeping the location secret, or other activities, they too can end up in prison or face a large fine. Or they can be sued by the left-behind parent for damages and have to pay them money. Family and friends need to know that their well-meaning actions can get them into trouble.

    What should you do if your child is stolen by another parent or relative?

    • Call your local law enforcement agency (police or sheriff's department) and make a crime report. Ask the law enforcement officer to enter your child as missing in the NCIC, the nationwide computer crime file.
    • Call or visit the local district attorney’s office right away to begin a child abduction investigation. Give the district attorney a description and recent photo of the child along with addresses and telephone numbers of anyone whom the child–stealer might go to or call for help.
    • If you have a child custody order, or visitation order, give a certified copy of the most recent order to the law enforcement agency. If there is no court order, contact a lawyer or legal clinic right away for help in getting a custody order from the court.
    • Call missing children’s organizations for assistance in locating your child. (See below for two examples.)

    If you have questions about child–stealing, call your local district attorney’s office. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), at (800) 843-5678, or Find The Children at (888) 477-6721

    Produced as part of a project of the ABA Center on Children and the Law and the Center for the Family in Transition under OJJDP grant 92–MC–CX–0007 from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, U.S. Department of Justice. This brochure does not necessarily represent official views of the U.S. Department of Justice or the American Bar Association.

  • Es Posible Robar A Su Propio Hijo?
    Si, Y Es Contra La Ley!

    La Ley Sobre el Secuestro de Niños

    Usted se ha preocupado que su hijo podria ser secuestrado por un descononcido?  Sabia Usted que es mas frecuente que un niño sea secuestrado por su madre, padre o familiar? Algunas personas piensan que no se puede robar algo que ya es suyo, pero cuando se trata de los niños, eso no es cierto.  Los niños no son como propiedad o dinero.  Les hace mucho daño cuando sus vidas se cambian mucho y repentinamente, y cuando estar mantenidos aparte de las personas importantes en sus vidas.

    Es un crimen cuando un nino sea secuestrado, escondido o mantenido aparte de alguna persona que tenga derechos sobre el niño, aunque lo hace su madre, padre, un familiar o cualquier otra persona.  Tambien es un crimen quitar, esconder o secuestrar a un niño de la casa de sus "foster parents/legal guardians".

    El secuestro de niños es un crimen muy serio aunque sea por un familiar. Madres, padres, abuelos y otros con derechos legales sobre el niño que sean arrestados por el secuestro de sus niños pueden ir a la carcel por tres años y ser multados por $10,000.00.

    Madres y padres que perdieron o nunca tuvieron derechos legales como padres, al igual que otros familiares, novios o novias sin derechos sobre el nino, tambien pueden ser arrestados por el secuestro de un nino y peuden ser enviados a la carcel hasta por ocho años.

    Algunos piensan que pueden escapar la ley de California si llevan al niño a otro estado u otro pais, pero la Ofidna de la Fiscalia de Distrito de su ciudad envia a sus investigadores tras de ellos, igual como hacen con otros tipos de criminates

    Como Se Puede Proteger Contra El Secuestro De Niños Y Que Se Puede Hacer Para No Ser Acusado De Robar A Su Propio Hijo

    Obtenga una orden de custodia de la corte y obedezca sus mandos/ordenes. Una orden de custodia es un documento legal con la decisión de un juez, y dictamina cuando los niños deben de estar con su madre o padre ( visitación y custodia física).  También manda quien tiene el derecho a hacer decisions sobre la educación y la salud del niño (custodia legal).  La orden de custodia también dice si su hijo puede salir o no de la ciudad o del estado durante las vacaciones, por ejemplo.

    Para obtener una orden de custodia de la corte, llame a un abogado o a una clínica legal para auyda en llenar una petición de custodia, por la cual se pide a la corte le custodia del niño.  También, puede conseguir la ayuda de un consejero de Servidos de la Corte Familiar.  Un consejero trabaja junto con la madre y el padre para ponerles de acuerdo sobre las decisiones que afectan al niño.  También hay consejeros privados en algunas areas.

    Es importante que entreguen una copia de la orden de custodia a la escuela del niño, y mantener una copia certificada de la orden en su casa y a la mano.  "Certificada" quiere decir que la copia debe tener el sello de la corte para asegurar que es una copia oficial o verdadera.  Copias certificadas cuestan un poco mas, pero son muy importantes.  Si el padre o madre vive en otra dudad u orto estado, envié una copia certificada de la orden de custodia al asistente de la corte en dicha dudad o estado, para que ellos mantengan la orden también.

    No debe de negar que el padre/la madre vea al niño.  Es preferible planear los dias que el padre/la madre puede tener visitas, o que la orden de la corte sea especifica sobre las visitaciones.  Si no, por lo menos asegúrese que los dos pasen tiempo con el niño.  De no ser asi, el padre/la madre puede acusarte de esconder al niño, o que Usted no respeta sus derechos con respecto al niño.  Eso también puede ocurrir cuando no existe una orden de la corte.

    Si Usted tiene una visita con su niño. o comparte la custodia física, regrese al niño a tiempo a la casa del padre/la madre.  Si llega tarde, se le puede acusar de la abducción del niño.

    Si Usted no se caso con el padre/la madre del niño, y mantiene al niño aparte el otro padre, puede ser acusado del secuestro del niño.  Si Usted es padre pero nunca se caso con la madre y no tiene pruebas de paternidad, puede ser acusado de la abducción si se lleva al niño.  Si Usted es madre, y nunca se caso con el padre del niño, todavía necesita una orden de custodia de la corte, aunque tal vez el niño siempre ha vivido con Usted.  En todos casos, esa orden de custodia es muy importante.

    Si Usted ya tiene una orden de custodia, pero quiere moderse a otra area, o quiere hacer algún otro tipo de cambio sobre la orden, debe regresar a la corte para hacer dichos cambios a la orden.  Si Usted se va a otra ciudad para vivir, y eso afecta las visitas del padre/la madre, Usted puede ser arrestado por la abducción del niño.

    Que Se Puede Hacer Si Es Necesario Buscar Protección Del Padre/La Madre Para Usted o Su Hijo

    Si hay peligro para Usted o su hijo en la casa, vaya a un lugar mas seguro (con amigos, familiares o una casa de protección).  Busque información sobre como peude mantener su seguridad.  Puede llamar a una casa de protección o llamar a una linea de emergencia.

    Si Usted esconde a su niño porque pensa que el padre/la madre puede ser abusivo o puede hacerle daño al niño, debe llamar o visitar la Oficina del Fiscal del Distrito en su ciudad lo mas pronto possible.  Digales donde tiene al niño y porque se esconden.  Escuche bien los consejos que ofrecen. Si Usted no llama a la Oficina del Fiscal del Distrito, no hace lo que mandan o aconsejan, o si no tiene una buena razón para esconder al niño, puede ser acusado del secuestro del niño.

    Asegúrese Que Los Familiares y Los Amigos Sepan Que Hacen Mal Al Ayudar a Robar o a Esconder A Un Niño

    En ocasiones los familiares y los amigos piensan que es bueno ayudar a un padre/una madre escaparse y esconder al niño.  No entienden que al ayudar con el secuestro, si prestan dinero o mantienen en secreto información sobre la abducción, ellos también pueden ser enviados a la cárcel or pueden recibir una multa muy grande.  Familiares y amigos deben entender que si ofrecen ayuda con la abducción de un niño, se pueden meter en graves problemas.

    Que Puede Usted Hacer Si Su Niño Ha Sido Robado Por Su Padre, Madre u Otro Familiar:

    • Llame a la policía para hacer un reporte del crimen.  Pida al detective que ponga el nombre de su niño en la computadora NCIC, que es una lista de crímenes y personas buscada por todo el pais.
    • Llame o visite a la Oficina del Fiscal del Distrito lo mas pronto posible para iniciar la investigación. Proporcione una foto reciente de su hijo, y también las direcciones y números de telefono de amistades y familiares de la persona que tiene a su hijo.
    • Si Usted tiene una orden de custodia o de visitación, tiene que dar una copia certificada a la policía. Si no existe una orden de la corte, llame Usted a un abogado o a una clínica legal para ayuda en obtener una orden.
    • Llame a las organizaciones de niños perdidos para pedir asistencia en la búsqueda de su niño.  Hay una lista de números de telefono abajo.

    Si Usted tiene alguna pregunta, llame a la Oficina del Fiscal del Distrito en su ciudad, al Centro Nacional de Niños Perdidos al numero (800) 843- 5678 o a Find The Children (Encontrar a los Niños) al numero (888) 477-6721

  • Prevention of Abduction From Relative and Foster Parents

    Children who have been placed in Relative or Foster Care due to abuse by their parents are often at risk of abduction from these placements by their parent(s). In the past few years, there have been increasing incidents of abduction of these children. The risk of abduction increases when families have ties to other countries and may not be familiar with the standards and laws of the United States.

    Most of the time, parents, relative caregivers and foster parents do not realize that the taking of these children or aiding parents in the taking of these children who are under the care, custody and control of the Juvenile Court under the supervision of the Department of Children and Family Services and the Dependency Court is a crime under Penal Code 278.5, “Child Abduction” and is considered to be a felony in the State of California. This offense carries a penalty of up to 3 (three) years imprisonment.

    As a relative caregiver or foster parent, you may feel sympathy for the parent(s) who have lost their children. However, please remember: these children have been removed from their parent(s) because they have been neglected or abused. If you do not feel comfortable in acting as a monitor during parental visits, it is important that you contact the Children’s Social Worker immediately. Visits can be arranged at the DCFS office or at a neutral location with another monitor. Do not feel embarrassed or ashamed to make this request. You will be truly protecting the child/ren who has/have been placed in your care.

    To prevent an abduction of children placed in your care, it is very important to observe the following guidelines:

    • When monitored visits are ordered by the Dependency Court, be sure that the CSW has properly advised you AND the visiting parents of the conditions of the visits. It is your responsibility to monitor the visits carefully. This requires that you do not allow the children to leave the premises with the parent. If the parent wants to take the child into the front/back yard to play, you must accompany them. If the parent wishes to take the child to an ice cream truck parked on the street, you must accompany them. Monitoring also requires that you do not, even briefly, leave the room in which the parents and child/ren are visiting.
    • Monitoring also includes listening to all conversations to be sure, that among other things, no plans are made to leave with the children or to meet the children at another time or at another location. All conversations must be a language that is common to ALL parties. There should be no whispering allowed between the parents and children nor the passing of notes between the parties.
    • Be aware that older children sometimes assist in an abduction. Explain to all the children who are old enough to understand, that it is important that their parents follow the rules of the visitation. When their parents have completed the programs ordered by the Dependency Court, hopefully they will be able to return home to a better family situation. Their placement with you is to maintain them in a safe environment until their parents are better able to care for them.
    • Document as much information about the visiting parents as possible. This would include license plate numbers of vehicles, a physical description of each; visiting parent, any unusual identifying features, clothing that is worn by the visiting parent and child in case the abduction occurs at the visit.
    • As a monitor, you may terminate the visit at any time if the guidelines that have been predetermined by the Children’s Social Worker are violated or if any behavior occurs that you deem as inappropriate or the child appears unduly distressed.
    • Report any violation of the Visitation Agreement immediately to the CSW. If any visiting party attempts to abduct a child from your care, attempt to intervene peaceably, without endangering yourself or the child. Contact Law Enforcement, if necessary, to assist in preventing the abduction.
    • If an abduction of a child occurs, immediately make a “Missing Person’s Report” with your local law enforcement and contact the Children’s Social Worker. If the abduction occurs after regular business hours, report the abduction to the CPHL (1-800-540-4000).The Children’s Social Worker will also be required to make a “Child Abduction Report” to your local law enforcement.
    • Be sure that the children’s school and teachers are aware of who may and may not pick up the children from school. It is not uncommon for parents to abduct a child from school.
    • Take yearly photographs of the children in your care with the $15.00 stipend that has been provided.  Make sure that when a child is newly placed into your care, you take a good quality photograph of the child.  In the case of an abduction, these photographs are CRITICAL in efforts to locate the children.

    Content written by Linda Quintana-Mansouri, CPS Consultant to Los Angeles County.

    For Information and Resources:
    Please contact Xiomara Flores-Holguin, Children Services Administrator, Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, email: or call (213) 700-9921.

  • Prevención Del Rapto Del Cuidado De Familiares Y Cuidado Foster

    Niños(as) que han sido puestos bajo el cuidado foster o con familiares por causa de abuso por sus padres a menudo están en riesgo de ser raptados del lugar de cuidado por su(s)  Padres(s).  Éste riesgo aumenta cuando familias tienen nexos con otros países y puede que no esten familiarizados con estatutos y leyes de los Estados Unidos. 

    Los padres, padres foster y familiares al cuidado puede que no se den cuenta de que llevarse a niños(as), o asistir a padres a que se lleven a algún niño(a), que está bajo el cuidado, custodia y control de la Corte Juvenil bajo la supervisión del Departamento de Servicios a Menores y Familias es Rapto Infantil, una felonía en el estado de California.  Ésta ofensa lleva como pena hasta 3 años de cárcel.

    Como un padres foster o familiar al cuidado de un menor, usted puede sentir simparia por los padres que han perdido a su(s) hijo(s, as), pero recuerde:  estos niños han sido alejados de sus padres porque han sido víctimas de negligencia o abuso.  Si usted no se siente comodo(a) en actuar como mediador durante las visitas de los padres, favor de ponerse en contacto con el(la) Trabajador(a) Social del Menor.  Las visitas se pueden arreglar para que se lleven acabo en las oficinas de DSMF.  Su primera prioridad debe ser en asegurar la seguridad de los niños según las Ordenes de la Corte Juvenil, quien tiene autoridad sobre los niños. 

    Para prevenír un rapto de niños bajo su cuidado, es muy importante hacer lo siguiente:

    • Cuando son ordenadas visitas monitoreadas, favor de asegurarse de que los padres visitando entiendan las condiciones de la visita.  Monitoreé las visitas cuidadosamente, incluyendo las conversaciones, para asegurarse que no se hagan planes para salir con los niños.  No deje a los padres visitando solos, ni brevemente con los niños. 
    • Éste enterado(a) de que niños mayores en ocasiones ayudan con un rapto.  Explíquele a niños que estén lo suficientemente grandes para entender que es importante que sus padres sigan las reglas de la visita. 
    • Asegurense de notificar a la escuela y maestro(a) de un niño sobre quien puede o no puede recoger a los niños de la escuela.  No es raro que padres rapten a sus hijos de una escuela. 
    • Tome fotografias de niños bajo en cuidado.  En caso de un rapto, estas fotografias son criticas en los esfuerzos para localizar a los niños. 
    • Tenga lo más posible de información sobre padres que visitan los niños:  pueda ayudar a localizarlos en caso de un rapto de niños por parte de ellos.  Por ejemplo numero de las placas del carro, etc. 
    • Reporte cualquier violación del acuerdo de las reglas de visita.  En caso de que una persona de visita intente a raptar un niño bajo su cuidado, intena intervenir pacíficamente, sin poner en peligro su persona o el(la) niño(a).  Póngase en contacto con la policía si es necesario para que le asistan en prevenir un rapto. 
    • En caso de que un padre rapte a un(a) niño(a) bajo su cuidado, llame a el(la) Trabajadora Social del(a) niño(a) inmediatamente.  Es críticamente importante que el/ella haga un reporte a la policía sobre el rapto en las primeras 24 horas después del rapto.  Si el rapto ocurre por la noche, durante el fin de semana o un dia festivo, inmediatamente llame al CAHL en A/C (800) 540-4000.